About UAD Thunderbolt Compatibility with Windows 10 Systems
- UAD v9.0.0 introduces Windows 10 PC compatibility with all Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products (Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo 16 MkII, Apollo Twin Thunderbolt, UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt, and first-generation silver Apollo/Apollo 16 models equipped with a Thunderbolt Option Card).
- Apollo Thunderbolt models can be combined with UAD-2 PCIe cards and UAD-2 Satellite (Thunderbolt, FireWire, and USB models). For details, see this article.
- Both the original Thunderbolt 1 Option Card and the newer Thunderbolt 2 Option Card for Apollo are compatible.
- Apollo Thunderbolt cannot be combined with Apollo FireWire or Apollo Twin USB (multiple Apollo connection types are incompatible).
- Connecting more than one Apollo unit via Thunderbolt is currently incompatible. This feature will be available in a future software release.
UAD Thunderbolt Compatibility Requirements
- A Windows 10 PC computer featuring built-in Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C is required.
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit edition (version 1607 or higher) is required. Earlier versions of Windows are not tested or supported.
- A qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (not included) is required to connect Universal Audio Thunderbolt products to the USB-C port on the computer.
- PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters, Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters, and Thunderbolt hubs are not tested or supported and may cause unexpected behavior.
- Connections to Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 computer ports are not tested or supported.
- Using Apple's Boot Camp to run Windows on Mac computers with Apollo or UAD-2 devices is not tested or supported.
- For general UAD system requirements, see this article.
The following Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapters have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt.
Note: The adapter connects between the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port on the computer and the Thunderbolt-equipped Universal Audio product.
- Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: TBT3TBTADAP)
- Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: K170-1051-BK6I)
- Apple* Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (Product ID: MMEL2AM/A)
Qualified Adapter Notes
- *The Apple adapter is incompatible with hot-plugging the adapter into the computer’s USB-C port. However, the adapter is compatible with hot-plugging the Thunderbolt cable into the adapter.
- The qualified Thunderbolt 3 adapters are compatible with connections to external Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 devices.
Tested Windows Thunderbolt 3 Computers
The following Windows 10 PC computers that feature Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt.
Note: The systems below are compatible with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products as of November 3, 2016 (future compatibility cannot be guaranteed).
- Dell XPS 12
- Dell XPS 15 9550
- Dell Alienware R17
- HP ZBook G3
- Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition
- Intel NUC Kit series (Tested with NUC6i7KYK)
- Gigabyte BRIX series (Tested with GB-BSi7T-6500)
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherboard
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 Motherboard
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
General System Notes
- A Quad Core i7 or better processor is recommended for optimum performance.
- 2016 and later systems that have a 6th-generation Intel Skylake processor (or greater), and a built-in Thunderbolt 3 (Alpine Ridge) controller with a USB-C port, combined with a qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, are expected to be compatible.
- Thunderbolt 3 products listed on Intel’s Thunderbolt Technology Community page are expected to be compatible.
For help configuring your Windows PC for use with UAD Thunderbolt devices, please see the articles below:
Individual product details for Windows 10 Thunderbolt Compatibility can be found here