Universal Audio have just announced their UAD 9.1 Software update including raft of new Plug-Ins and some new features as well as compatibility improvements and bug fixes.
New in v9.1
• SSL 4000 E Channel Strip Collection w/ Unison
• Moog Multimode Filter Collection
• Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 50 Amplifier w/ Unison (Brainworx)
• bx_subsynth Subharmonic Synth (Brainworx)
• OTO BISCUIT 8-bit effects (Softube)
• Apollo Thunderbolt Multi-Unit for Windows 10 systems
• Apollo FireWire Multi-Unit for Console 2 (Mac and Windows)
• Full qualification of macOS Sierra
• Resolved driver signing issue with new Windows 10 installations
Version 9.1.0 - March 13, 2017
About This Software
- This software is compatible with all UAD-2 products (Apollo, Satellite, PCIe) and external connection types (Thunderbolt, FireWire, USB 3).
- Up to six Apollo and/or UAD-2 devices can be combined within the general guidelines below (one Apollo connection type per system). For specific details, see the UA Device Compatibility article for your particular model.
- This software is compatible with macOS 10.12 Sierra.
- Connect up to four Apollo Thunderbolt units (maximum one Apollo Twin).
- Connect up to two Apollo FireWire or two Apollo 16 FireWire units.
- UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt, UAD-2 Satellite FireWire, and UAD-2 PCIe cards can be combined with each other and Apollo interfaces (maximum two UAD FireWire devices).
- Apollo Twin USB and UAD-2 Satellite USB are incompatible with Mac systems.
- This software is compatible with Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
- Connect up to four Apollo Thunderbolt units (maximum one Apollo Twin) to Thunderbolt 3-equipped Windows 10 PCs (Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter required).
- Connect up to two Apollo FireWire or two Apollo 16 FireWire units to Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 PCs.
- Connect one Apollo Twin USB to Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 PCs.
- UAD-2 Satellite (Thunderbolt, FireWire, USB) and UAD-2 PCIe cards can be combined with each other and Apollo Thunderbolt, USB, and FireWire interfaces (maximum two UAD FireWire devices and two UAD USB devices).
New UAD-2 Plug-Ins from Universal Audio
- SSL 4000 E Channel Strip Collection featuring Unison preamp technology
- Moog Multimode Filter Collection featuring Moog Multimode Filter XL
New UAD-2 Plug-Ins from Direct Development Partners
- OTO BISCUIT 8-bit Effects by Softube
- Fuchs® Overdrive Supreme 50 Amplifier by Brainworx
- bx_subsynth Subharmonic Synth by Brainworx
New Platform Features
- Thunderbolt mixed multi-unit compatibility with Windows 10 systems
- Console 2 software for FireWire multi-unit systems
- Full qualification of macOS Sierra
Other Enhancements and Changes
- (Win 10) Resolved driver signing issue with new Windows 10 installations
- (Apollo Thunderbolt Win) Resolved ability to select audio driver in some DAWs.
Note: The audio driver must be reselected after installing this software.
- (Apollo Thunderbolt Win) Resolved distortion after sample rate change with large buffer sizes
- (Apollo Thunderbolt Win) General improvements with Windows WDM audio
- (Apollo Thunderbolt Mac) Core Audio selection is automatic with Apollo connect/disconnect
- (Apollo Twin MkII) Resolved audio artifacts that could occur in Line 3-4 outputs
- (Apollo Twin MkII) Resolved multi-unit cue outputs issue when Apollo Twin MkII is monitor unit
- (Apollo FireWire) FireWire audio driver enhancements
- (Console 2) MON buttons are relabeled MIX
- (Console 2) Resolved channel strip preset loading via right-click on Unison insert
- (Console 2) Resolved issue when removing offline unit containing Unison plug-in
- (Console 2) Resolved issue preventing key commands from being passed to Cubase
- (Console 2) Resolved various graphic display issues
- (Console 2 Win) Console Settings can now be opened via DAW settings
- (Fairchild 660/670) Resolved VU meter issue in mono instantiations at 4x sample rates
- (Precision Limiter) Resolved audio artifacts that could occur under certain conditions
- (Precision Reflection Engine) Resolved issues when entering out of range text
Operating System Compatibility
- This software is compatible with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10, including Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
- This software is compatible with macOS 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capitan, and 10.12 Sierra.
- Previous OS versions may be compatible, but they are no longer tested or supported. Prior software for older OS versions is available in the UAD Software Archives.
Thunderbolt Mixed Multi-Unit Compatibility with Windows 10 PC Systems
- All Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 Satellite products are compatible.
- Up to four Apollo units can be combined via Thunderbolt (maximum one Apollo Twin).
- A total of six Thunderbolt-equipped UAD devices can be connected.
- A PC computer featuring built-in Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C is required.
- A qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter is required (not included).
- Windows 10 with Anniversary Update (64-Bit Edition) is required.
- For complete Windows Thunderbolt compatibility information, see this KB article.
Windows Setup - Required Settings
Specific Windows operating system settings are necessary for optimum performance when using UAD devices. For details, please review the Windows Setup - Required Settings article for your specific device model.
Apollo Driver Name (Windows Thunderbolt)
- The Apollo audio driver for Windows Thunderbolt ASIO is renamed in this software. If a previous Apollo driver name was selected in the DAW, the new driver name may need to be manually selected after installing this software.
Console 2 application for Apollo FireWire multi-unit cascading
- UAD v9.1.0 introduces Console 2 software for multi-unit cascading of two first-generation (silver) Apollo or Apollo 16 models connected via FireWire. For Console 2 operating instructions, see the Apollo FireWire Software Manual.
- Wiring requirements for FireWire multi-unit cascading are unchanged. For FireWire multi-unit cascading wiring requirements, see this KB article.
Apollo FireWire Driver Improvements
Apollo’s FireWire audio driver has been enhanced for stability and performance. As a result, Apollo audio streams use more FireWire bandwidth versus previous versions. The UAD Bandwidth Allocation setting (in UAD Meter & Control Panel) may need to be reduced to compensate when UAD plug-ins are used within a DAW. Additional FireWire improvements include:
- (Win) ASIO and WDM sample rates are automatically matched
- (Win 10) Advanced panel is accessible at Control Panel>Sound>Recording/Playback
- (Mac) Audio playback is no longer distorted with Quicktime 10
Firmware Update Information
- UAD v9.1 contains a firmware update for Apollo Twin MkII.
- For optimum performance, always update Universal Audio device firmware by clicking "Load" when prompted by the UAD software.
- The software will guide you through the firmware update process; be sure to follow the instructions on screen. Most importantly, power off then power on the unit after the "Power Off UAD Device" window appears.
- For additional information, review the UAD firmware updates article.
Using UAD Plug-Ins with Pro Tools on Windows
Important: After installing UAD software on Windows systems, Pro Tools will display an error the first time the program is launched. Follow these steps to ensure all UAD plug-ins are ready for use:
- When Pro Tools is first launched, click "No" when Pro Tools displays a message indicating some UAD AAX plug-ins failed to load. This message can be safely dismissed.
- After Pro Tools finishes loading, QUIT Pro Tools. The UAD plug-ins are now ready for use the next time Pro Tools is opened.